Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Where to begin.. how about with today..


I don’t really know how to start. I got so used to keeping everyone up to date by my writing, and then I just dropped off the face of the earth, and now I feel  like there is too much to catch you up on. I will try in the next couple of weeks to go back and fill in the blanks. But I had to get this off my chest.

I was driving on my way home today when I heard a song on the Christians radio. They lyrics talked about a man sitting in a jail cell wondering if God would give this man someone to love him. Just recalling those words bring me to tears. I know a man who may be doing this right now, a man that for many years I called my father.

I’ve prayed for many years that bitterness and anger would fade. That I would feel love for this man like I once did. I think I feel it. I know I do, its reflected in the tears I shed for him as I write this and its reflected in my prayers that go out for him daily.

I can’t imagine what it must feel like to have all your rights taken away, to feel less than a person, and to wonder if you could ever make it out there, What will people think?

I am not excusing my dad’s behavior. For sin there is consequence the bible tells us so, and I don’t regret my testimony against him. What I do regret though was how I acted in many ways out of anger.

When given the choice for his time away and his sentencing, I took revenge. I asked for only a handful of years but I also asked for a title to be placed on his head..
I asked that he would always be singled out for his crime.

I regret this now. I was also listening to a sermon on Jonah today. I realized how much like Jonah I really am. I was overwhelmed with thankfulness when the Lord made himself known to me and cleaned up the mess of a life that I had made, but when he wanted me to extend that mercy to another person, I preferred for the Lord "to kill me" than make me do so.

I guess I realized that I still have a lot of this stuff to work through. I can’t take back what I asked for. Even if it feels deserved or not, or if it felt deserved. The point is it’s all done.

On the race I learned about how important names and titles are. What they can mean, how they can affect your future? I guess my prayer now is that I stop feeling this guilt.  That I can live free from this too and  that my dad can rise above what the world chooses to call him. That I don’t act out of anger. That I don’t have to keep learning things the hard way.

Therefore, this is what the LORD says: "See, I will defend your cause and avenge you; I will dry up her sea and make her springs dry.
Jeremiah 51:36

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you...and your dad.

    Love,
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud of you for sharing this. Praying for supernatural peace, love and forgiveness to flow in repairing your relationship with your father and FREEDOM for the both of you :) Love you! B & B

    ReplyDelete